03 August 2015

Ginger-Garlic Fried Rice: A Quick and Simple Rice Dish for the Family


The Philippines is a rice country. Breakfast, lunch, supper...every time there is rice, including during snack time!
India, especially in South, is the opposite. 
Imagine my fate without rice...
I survived though!
I don't have that craving for rice, that feeling that I want rice. 
Zero!

My husband, on the other hand, can live without it though he eats occasionally!
And the only rice dish that he likes is fried rice or palak rice, but palak rice is only made when palak or spinach is available, which is not throughout the year unlike in cities where it is (I assume) available most of the year.
As for me, plain or with something, rice is rice and I like it.

We also like mushroom fried rice but is made only during the mushroom season. We stopped using canned mushroom because of health issues (I encourage you to avoid buying and using canned items, too, because anything that has long shelf life will definitely make your life shorter).

So we almost always end up making vegetable fried rice when we have the cravings for rice, but never plain rice.

Ginger-garlic fried rice, as usual, is my husband's idea (thinker, eh).
The first time I made it, I didn't add any vegetables.
(Carrot is nowhere no matter where I look).

Then, a kilo of locally-grown capsicum, freshly harvested from a nearby farm courtesy of Mr. Ashok, a patient of my husband, was delivered to us -for free. 
So instead of a repeat, we decided to add capsicum to ginger-garlic fried rice, our lunch the following day which was already decided the night before.
"Okay, let's try it after all capsicum is almost always there in every fried rice", I said.

So here it is, something to be shared with you because the recipe is very simple and you can add vegetable of your choice and see how it goes.




What are needed?

1. Rice, 1 cup, cooked a night before (I used brown rice this time).
2. Capsicum, 3 medium-size, chopped into small pieces
3. Garlic, plenty, minced-keep for 20 minutes before using (I used big ones up to 7 heads)
4. Ginger, 3 inches, minced (skin not removed, wash properly and remove not so good-looking parts)
5. Onions, 4, medium size, chopped into small pieces
6. Black pepper, 1 tsp.
7. Salt to taste
8. Vegetable oil ( I used sesame oil, mustard oil, olive oil -little of each)


How to do it?

1. Get all ingredients ready.
2. In a deep pan, heat oil in high flame.
3. Add in ginger and garlic together. Fry till brown while pressing once in a while. Lower the flame if necessary.
4. Pour in onions followed by salt. Fry till translucent.
5. Add capsicum. Cook for 1-2 minutes in a high flame. Don't overcook capsicum.
7. Then add rice. Mix the mixture well in a high flame for a few more seconds making sure that no lumps of rice are seen till all ingredients get mixed.
8. Sprinkle black pepper. Check the taste. It's the ginger and garlic, salt and black pepper that make this dish tastier.
9. Turn off the stove.
10. Serve hot.

~my share! we had it with fresh and immature cucumbers, locally grown~

Notes:

~ White rice was also used in this recipe.
~ Carrots can be added instead of capsicum or with capsicum.
~ Make sure to use lots of garlic and ginger, hence the name.
~ It's tastier when dry so I never use ginger-garlic paste again.
~ The rice should be cooked dry, not wettish, so don't overcook it.
~ Soya chunks might go well with this so next time I'll try it. You can also try already. Just boil soya chunks with salt. When cool, squeeze to remove excess water, then dry after adding onions.

Enjoy this very quick and simple rice recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment